[sf-lug] puppy linux on a 65k ram i series IBM Thinkpad

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Oct 20 22:38:24 PDT 2007

Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):

> I got dsl (damn small linux) running quite nicely (after many tries to
> get the display readable using various boot options) on the "little
> old" i Series Type 2611 IBM ThinkPad

You mean IBM machine type 2611?  FYI, that would make it technically a
ThinkPad model 1400, if so.

That was quite a decent machine; I have a soft spot for those 1999-era
laptops.  You might actually consider buying a pair of replacement
SODIMMs for it:  The machine has two SODIMM slots that can each hold a
stick providing 32MB, 64MB, or 128MB of PC66 144-pin SDRAM.  A pair of
128MB SODIMMs will cost you only about $55, and will make a _huge_
different in perceived performance.

And you'd then also be able to comfortably run something a _lot_ more
mainstream and less cramped than DSL -- maybe Xubuntu, which is what I'm
running on the 256MB PowerPC-800MHz iBook I'm typing this on.

I believe the machine also has a PII/366, and something like a 30GB hard
drive -- perfectly OK machine.

> BUT  only running off the CD.  Now how do I get it loaded onto the
> hard drive so it comes up without the CD and runs off the drive
> instead of the (slow!) CD?

Like this:
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/dsl-hd-install.html

--
Cheers,                                 Harahefet sh'eli mele'ah betzlofahim.
Rick Moen
rick at linuxmafia.com