[sf-lug] Linux Business Management Software

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 10:20:22 PDT 2007

hi

On 10/19/07, Ernest de Leon <dryicezero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
>    Just wanted to ask a quick question of the group.  I just moved to the
> area and am consulting on a regular basis, and I wanted to know what options
> are out there as far as business management and financial management
> programs.

I guess you are talking about your own personal finances, and that of a
small to medium business, right?

I know I can just search for some, but I wanted some feedback from actual
> users of the software.  My immediate basic need is something for expenses
> and tax purposes.

GNUcash.  The feature set is described here in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GnuCash

   - Double-Entry bookkeeping<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-entry_system>
   - Scheduled Transactions
   - Mortgage & Loan Repayment Druid
   - Small Business Accounting Features
   - OFX <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OFX>,
QIF<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QIF>Import
   - HBCI <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBCI> Support (disabled in
   pre-compiled binaries due to licensing
conflicts)[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GnuCash#_note-libraries>
   - Transaction-Import Matching Support
   - (Limited) Multi-User SQL <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL> Support
   - Multi-Currency Transaction Handling
   - Stock/Mutual Fund Portfolios
   - Online Stock & Mutual Fund Quotes

I am a lawyer, and I am able to manage with OOo calc!  There is also OOo
Base for database.

Secondly is something that manages client data.  I would prefer something
> that can do both.  It goes without saying that I am looking for a linux app.

I am mostly a Free Software kind of guy, and I try to avoid non-Free
Software, but I make an exception for Google services.  I really like
Google's services, because my data is searchable anywhere on the planet, and
I can easily access my data from whatever terminal I am at, even if it
happens to be a cell phone with Internet access, or, heaven forbid, a
Windows terminal!!  The power of Google to search my contacts is something
that I simply could not live without.