[sf-lug] equivalent of newegg for buying a new/refurbished TV?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Oct 12 14:47:51 PDT 2007

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Kristian Erik Hermansen (kristian.hermansen at gmail.com):
>
>> I guess I just assumed that this list was for the Linux community.
>
> OK, cool.  I hope you'll launch some stimulating threads about politics
> and religion, then.

Politics:

I used to use software under the MindGuard Public License until I
discovered that it was non-free! <http://zapatopi.net/mindguard/>

Religion:

See http://faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/alt/alt.religion.emacs.html .  I am
a believer^Wuser.

Seriously:

I think that this thread would have been fine with an [OT] (to mean
"off-topic") at the start of it; high-tech things seem to be moderately
well-correlated with Linux users, and it's a mailing list for the group of
users of Linux, not for Linux itself (see linux-kernel at vger.org for that).
The OT would help indicate to people like Rick that this is off the usual
topic space, but it seems to comply with the "Policies" at sf-lug.org:

 	Purpose: discuss Linux, gnu toolkit, services and clients;
 	freeBSD, Mac OSX, Solaris discussions welcome.

 	Policies: anything goes (per discussion among initial members
 	summer 2004)

People here have generally been self-policing, and Rick's point that
totally random banter might drown out the signal is a good one.  I don't
think we're there yet, and I'll leave it to our All-knowing Moderator to
tell us when we reach that point.

-- Asheesh.

--
Let the machine do the dirty work.
 		-- "Elements of Programming Style", Kernighan and Ritchie