[sf-lug] (-:, etc.

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 11 00:37:27 PDT 2007

In my recollection, my first aquaintence with (-:, and the like, was
for left-handed variations of smileys and the like - generally to
indicate a lefthanded person or something lefthanded.

>From (http or
ftp)://etlport.etl.go.jp/pub/hp-archive/Jul23.92/smiley/smiley_4.0.tar.Z
which I got
around 1992-10-21T23:59:00-0700
we have within that:
$ ls -on --full-time smiley_4.0/faces.in
-rw-------  1 1003 23975 1991-10-29 01:32:50.000000000 -0800 smiley_4.0/faces.in
$ grep '^(-[:;] ' smiley_4.0/faces.in
(-:     Australian
(-:     Don Ellis from Tektronix