[sf-lug] Watching ABC videos with Firefox under PClinuxOS

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Oct 6 23:09:44 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 10:24:43PM -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> http://abc.go.com/index
>
> If you go to that page, please click on "watch full episodes" to reproduce
> the problem.  I have already downloaded the Win32codecs for her via
> Synaptic, as well as quicktime, etc.

It appears that they require a _specific plugin_ be installed.
I told my Konqueror browser to 'pretend' that I was on Internet Explorer on
Windows XP, and landed on a page that tells me I need to install a plugin:

  "Why do I need to install something?
  ABC uses a plug-in you don't currently have. It will give you
  stunning video quality, full-screen and mini-mode.
  We could go on, but it gets technical and boring from here."

indeed... and unhelpful.  So now I tell Konqueror to pretend to be Safari,
on Mac OS X.  ABC's website again tells me I need some kind of plugin.

I suggest going to their Feedback page and complaining.  They apparently just
flat out don't support anyone except Windows 2000, XP or Vista,
and Mac OS X users.

  http://dynamic.abc.go.com/streaming/feedback?pn=tfbk&origin=check

Good luck :(

--