[sf-lug] ps -A | grep timidity

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:21:55 PDT 2007

hi

On 9/26/07, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Alex Kleider (a_kleider at yahoo.com):
>
> There's a standard gotcha about the "top" utility:  It puts a machine
> under significant load while running.  Picture a shared *ix host having
> apparent performance problems:  A dozen logged-in users simultaneously
> launch "top" and bring it to its knees.

Thanks for this info.  I didn't know this.  Question:  it seems you are
saying that top is only a problem if you have several users running it.  For
example, at our lab, it seems our relatively modest server reports around
3.5% CPU usage for one instance of top.  You mentioned a dozen, so that
probably does not apply to us, I'm guessing.

Also, is this different from other resource-heavy apps such as OOo?