[sf-lug] Linux install on Older Laptop (Ubuntu??)

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 13:34:09 PDT 2007

Hi Blake,

On 27 Sep 2007 16:19:09 -0400, Blake Haggerty <Blake.Haggerty at sapphire.com>
wrote:

> This weekend I am going to be installing Linux on a Co-workers laptop. It
> took me awhile but eventually he is ready to switch and he's actually rather
> excited about it. His laptop is a Pentium 3 455Mhz and it has 340mb of RAM.
> I am curious as to suggestions on what distro to set him up with. I am
> leaning toward Ubuntu because of the ease of use and how it is very good
> with detecting new hardware and having it work easily. I dont feel like
> spending all weekend pulling my hair out trying to get it to recognize the
> wireless card.

Wifi is well supported in most any new distro, including *ubuntu via
NetworkManager and ndiswrapper is necessary...

Now I think that maybe his machine isn't fast enough for Ubuntu??  So I was
> considering XUbuntu, Has anyone had experience with this??

I used to run XFCE, and it was great.  I just happen to prefer Gnome now...

His needs are rather simple: Surf the internet, Listen to MP3's/manage his
> IPOD, Download MP3s (Bittornado, Amule) and some word processing.  I'd like
> it to be rather fast for him too.

Internet -> Firefox
MP3's -> Banshee (and tons of other tools)
iPod -> Gtkpod (audio/video) or Banshee (only audio)
download? -> Azureus
Word Processing -> OpenOffice Writer

What are people experiences with XFCE as a desktop is it missing a ton of
> features?  Is it stable? Is it easy to use??
> Any issues with IPOD management??

Love XFCE ... and highly recommend it.  Yes.  Yes.  No :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen