[sf-lug] Linux install on Older Laptop (Ubuntu??)

Blake Haggerty Blake.Haggerty at Sapphire.com
Thu Sep 27 13:19:09 PDT 2007

This weekend I am going to be installing Linux on a Co-workers laptop. It took me awhile but eventually he is ready to switch and he's actually rather excited about it. His laptop is a Pentium 3 455Mhz and it has 340mb of RAM. I am curious as to suggestions on what distro to set him up with. I am leaning toward Ubuntu because of the ease of use and how it is very good with detecting new hardware and having it work easily. I dont feel like spending all weekend pulling my hair out trying to get it to recognize the wireless card.

Now I think that maybe his machine isn't fast enough for Ubuntu??  So I was considering XUbuntu, Has anyone had experience with this??

His needs are rather simple: Surf the internet, Listen to MP3's/manage his IPOD, Download MP3s (Bittornado, Amule) and some word processing.  I'd like it to be rather fast for him too.

What are people experiences with XFCE as a desktop is it missing a ton of features?  Is it stable? Is it easy to use??

Any issues with IPOD management??

Blake Haggerty
Technical Recruiter

Work: 415-788-8488 x215