[sf-lug] happy software freedom day!

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 11:20:32 PDT 2007

hi

On 9/16/07, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 08:48:33AM -0700, jim stockford wrote:
> > Stallman emphasized that schools in particular should adopt the
> > principles and use only free and open source software, partly
> > wrt the ethics, partly to encourage those kids interested to become
> > good coders (to become a good coder you have to read lots of
> > code and write lots of code).
>
> LUGOD held a Linux demo booth at the Davis Farmer's Market yesterday.
> We passed out "Linux & OSS in Education" flyers to all of the folks
> running for School Board who also had booths, as well as spoke with folks
> who want to start a charter school (at a location that the district was
> planning to close, due to low enrollment).  They want it to be a
> 'tech school' -- part of that is giving all students a laptop.  We've
> already begun a dialog with them regarding the use of OSS & Linux to
> reduce their licensing costs (to pretty much nil :) ).

Bill, if you have a video camera and would like to think about documenting
your work with that school, it would make interesting footage for the
Digital Tipping Point.  Please keep us posted here on this list as to what
progress you make.

Also, some of us here have a wee bit of experience from trying to move a
public middle school in SF to FOSS, and so we might be able to give you a
few tips, and vice versa.

Also, the folks who wrote the book on FOSS in public school education are up
in Portland at the Riverdale High School.  There is lots of stuff out there
for schools and education, so you are not writing on a blank slate.

http://www.riverdale.k12.or.us/

http://k12os.org/?q=node/29/site/default.asp

I look forward to following your progress!