[sf-lug] happy software freedom day!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Sep 16 11:00:29 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 08:48:33AM -0700, jim stockford wrote:
> Stallman emphasized that schools in particular should adopt the
> principles and use only free and open source software, partly
> wrt the ethics, partly to encourage those kids interested to become
> good coders (to become a good coder you have to read lots of
> code and write lots of code).

LUGOD held a Linux demo booth at the Davis Farmer's Market yesterday.
We passed out "Linux & OSS in Education" flyers to all of the folks
running for School Board who also had booths, as well as spoke with folks
who want to start a charter school (at a location that the district was
planning to close, due to low enrollment).  They want it to be a
'tech school' -- part of that is giving all students a laptop.  We've
already begun a dialog with them regarding the use of OSS & Linux to
reduce their licensing costs (to pretty much nil :) ).

Exciting!

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com