[sf-lug] Does anyone have a good backup strategy for Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty)?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sun Sep 9 14:30:23 PDT 2007

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, jim stockford wrote:

>    when i bring such topic up among uber-geeks
> they remind me to think of inode numbers of files
> i want to hoist about, just in case there are links
> or other dependencies among the filesystem
> citizens--a copy of a file has a different inode
> number from its source, and moving the copied
> file in place of the source file has the effect of
> changing the inode number for that file, often
> okay, but not always.

iirc rsync is smart enough to handle that.  cp -a is too, I think.  I may
be wrong about those, though - if I am, someone please correct me!

tar has an option to be smart enough to handle that too, I think.

>    Sounds like you're a candidate for a bit-wise
> write of partitions, yes? I'd like to know what tools
> exist for impressing info on a hard drive bit-by-bit
> (I know this is done for installs).

No it's not done for any current distro installs I know of.  What makes
you think it is?

Also please cut off irrelevant quoted text when you can.

-- Asheesh.

--
A drama critic is a person who surprises a playwright by informing him
what he meant.