[sf-lug] Does anyone have a good backup strategy for Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty)?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 9 14:22:56 PDT 2007

Quoting RBV (GoodWriter2548 at earthlink.net):

> But, how does one restore an rsync-created "backup image" IF the
> target system that needs to receive this image is broken?  For that
> matter, how does one restore the image even if the target system isn't
> broken?

In both cases:  Install a base OS, then put back the local-state files
from backup.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/linuxmafia.com-backup.html has my
standard scheme, which has among other things the advantage of not
wasting vast amounts of time and storage space backing up program and
other standard files that were never part of local machine state in the
first place and are easily and properly rebuilt from OS installation
media.

My approach does require that one have some basic understanding of one's
system.  Many people don't like that, and prefer the "just take a
snapshot of everthing without exception, and have a magic boot CD that
automatically copies it back" alternative.  My approach is not for them.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                Bu^so^stopu min per kulero.
rick at linuxmafia.com