[sf-lug] Spare RAM

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:16:20 PDT 2007

> "Like I say, I have those installed, but the files don't seem to play. I
> think there may be a difference between DRM wma's and non-DRM wma-s.
> Anyway, will see what I can do..."

I think you're on the right track here.  Check out
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=420085
When I worked for IODA (a digital music aggregator) we did anything we
needed to with wma's and other proprietary formats (e.g. Sony atrac files)
on a Windows farm.  I don't think there's a legal way to work with
DRM-protected wma's on Linux (short of purchasing a license from MS).

You may have to hook the drive up to a Windows machine and convert the files
to a DRM-less format.  My laptop dual boots Windows and Ubuntu, and I have
experience with audio transcoding.  I'm happy to help, if any of this would
be helpful.