[sf-lug] Spare RAM

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:33:56 PDT 2007

hi

On 9/4/07, Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Wondering if anyone has any spare RAM that they'd be willing to donate
> that would match these specs:
>
> http://crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension%202400%20Series

I probably have a bunch of it RAM that would be suitable, Tom.  Plus, it
would give you an opportunity to come see our FOSS lab.  The school is at
1430 scott street.  Hell, we could even give you a box that would supplement
her needs, although I recall that you had lots of decent boxes there at
HVCC.

I am forwarding this email to our little community's hardware guy, Holden
Aust, who is also the guy who introduced me to FOSS in the first place.  I
would really love to introduce you to Holden.  I think you would really
enjoy meeting him.

I'm rebuilding a desktop for Ruby (who volunteers at HVCC - this is her
> personal desktop) with most likely Ubuntu, and it currently only has
> 128MB RAM. For a P4, this is a crying shame, and would be a very quick
> speed boost. Her machine is currently running Windows XP + the usual
> assortment of spyware/adware and is slower than a crawl.

I'm assuming that she is going to let you blow away Windows, right?  I'm
assuming that you are going to try to save her data and then install Ubuntu
or Kubuntu on it.

I'm also happy to help support her with FOSS tips, if you would like.