[sf-lug] Fwd: help moving a public middle school in San Francisco to FOSS

Steve Bibayoff bibayoff at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 13:49:32 PDT 2007

Hello,

On 9/1/07, Christian Einfeldt <einfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks for asking.  The problem is slow loading.  I can't seem to find any
> other way to describe the problem in greater detail.  The school recently
> purchased a decent box from Zareason Inc. with 2 GB RAM and two dual core
> chips each at 1.8 ghz, and it still takes about 110 seconds to load that
> file.
>
> On a HP with 256 MB of RAM and about 1 ghz single chip, the file takes no
> less than 12 minutes to load!!!

This is a known problem. IIRC, the problem was the in regard w/
spreadsheet formatting. And the "workaround" was to either:

Manually copy over all of the contents of the spread sheet into a new
spreadsheet.
1) Open up the original xls file.
2) Open up a new spreadsheet under Calc(Openoffice)
3) Highlight all (or Select All) and copy all
4) Paste all into the new spread sheet

or
Export/save the spread sheet as a csv (comma separated value) file and
then open it up under Calc/Openoffice

Saying that, I would highly recommend the suggestion of moving the
whole thing to a database. It would solve so many problems, some that
you or the school didn't even think about.

hth,

Steve