[sf-lug] need CentOS 5 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5) platform info

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Aug 28 21:40:52 PDT 2007

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

> The MOBO is the Supermicro PDSMI+.  Info can be found at:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/3000/PDSMi+.cfm
> According to their manual on this mobo, the southbridge is the ICH7R.

Yep.  Confirmed.

That means you need to use the "ahci" SATA driver by Jeff Garzik, part
of his "libata" set.  ICH7R isn't too challenging for any reasonably
modern distro (which therefore has a reasonably modern 2.6 kernel).

(I know a guy with a Web page:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/hardware/sata.html )

> Also, I choose the quad proc because in most cases they are now less
> expensive than dual-cores.  If the preference is for dual-cores, I can
> make that change.

Nah, you were just hearing Rick the owner/user of antiques, there.

> BTW - there is also a similar Opteron configs if that would be
> preferable.

Six of one....