[sf-lug] about new forms of dangerous junk mail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 1 08:56:27 PDT 2007

> Also, another random point with PDF files and at least newer versions
> of Adobe's reader programs.  If I'm not mistaken, with some of the
> newer formats and Adobe's newer readers, they're capable of relativley
> stealthily tracking access - e.g. open the PDF, and it'll access a hidden
> URL within the PDF

Not that I use Adobe Acrobat Reader, but this is the reason why my DNS
nameserver proclaims itself authoritative for domain
"remoteapproach.com":

//"remoteapproach.com" collect spy-on-users data from Acrobat 7.x
// and later for the benefit of Adobe Systems, Inc.
zone "remoteapproach.com" {
        type master;
        allow-query { any; };
        file "/etc/bind/advertisers.zone";
};

(The "advertersers.zone" zonefile is what I use to make undesired DNS
domains go away, by resolving them locally.)