[sf-lug] jabber & DNS / SRV problem

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Jul 31 23:55:16 PDT 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Rogelio Bastardo wrote:

> I've gotten jabber services running, and I have no problems connecting
> with jabber-friendly clients, such as Pidgin or GAIM.
>
> However, services like Meebo.com do not let you change the default
> jabber port (5222 clear txt; 5223 ssl) or server (e.g.
> jabber.domain.tld).  You just put in your username / password, and all
> "works" as long as your anchor record (.domain.tld) is pointed to the
> your jabber server.
>
> I thought my answer was an SRV record in my domain.tld's DNS

I just set this up for asheesh.org to use rose.makesad.us as its Jabber
server.  Here's the lines in the zone:

_xmpp-server._tcp.asheesh.org. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 5269 rose.makesad.us.
_xmpp-client._tcp.asheesh.org. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 5222 rose.makesad.us.
_jabber._tcp.asheesh.org. 86400 IN SRV 5 0 5269 rose.makesad.us.

Those went in the zone for asheesh.org.  Let me know if this helps or I
can provide more help!

-- Asheesh.

--
Pohl's law:
 	Nothing is so good that somebody, somewhere, will not hate it.