[sf-lug] Resolution Issues

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Mon Jul 30 17:15:59 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 18:55 -0400, Blake Haggerty wrote:

> I recently just purchased a 26" LCD TV that I am actually using as a
> monitor.  The TV is very picky about only displaying in certain
> resolutions. I had to set Ubuntu up so it displays in wxga and  the
> resolution I think if  I remember correctly is 1024 x 768... It looks
> and works fine until I shutdown or reboot.
>
> Once I reboot the system I can see all the bios stuff pop on the
> screen and I can see the Ubuntu  loading bar running but after the
> little bar runs out the screen goes blank. (this is where the login
> screen is) I can type in my username and password and it will then go
> to the desktop and the screen displays fine again... It just goes
> black during the login screen. Anyone know how to fix this???

What does your Xorg.conf look like? It sounds to me like your LCD TV
only accepts certain resolutions, and although you have set it correctly
within Gnome (or whatever window manager you use), the main Xorg.conf
file has a different default resolution, which is causing you problems.

If you know for sure what resolution it should be, I'd recommend
dropping into recovery mode (or simply stopping X and dropping into a
terminal), and then running sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg - this
will walk you through setting up your Xorg.conf file correctly.
Alternatively you could edit it yourself (having made a backup of
course).

Cheers, Tom