[sf-lug] Linux World

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 17 13:42:19 PDT 2007

Quoting Jason Turner (jturner at nonzerosums.com):

> Short, sweet, easy to read.  A fine example.  With Rick's permission I
> *would* pretty much copy it,

And of course you are welcome to.

I recommend either the quarter-sheet format I used, or trifold flyer
format, and personaly prefer the former -- on grounds of psychology:
People walk away from trade shows (and conferences) with large numbers
of 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, and they all tend to end up in piles and
forgotten.

The quarter-sheet flyers are small enough for back pockets, wallets, or
refrigerator magnets without difficulty.  I recommend taking a master
sheet to FedEx Kinko's and printing onto light pastel-coloured papers,
with yellow, light green, light blue, light reds, and orange all working
well.  You want to avoid just using default-white copy paper.

>  subbing the Cabal logo for SF-LUG's
> "LinuxKong" and obviously tweaking the location and invitation language.
>
> JimS, CarolB, JohnL, Other? -- can any of you do the layout and
> graphic(s)?  I always run from such things..

And me.  As a graphic artist, I make a good sysadmin.  ;->

That's why I simply found a collection of Tux art, and grabbed that JPEG
for the occasion.  (CABAL has no special claim to it.)

After wrestling for hours with OO.o Writer to produce that thing, I
think I'd be inclined to try Lyx or Scribus, next time.  OTOH, at least
.swx files are widely readable.