[sf-lug] Creating a Linux Lab

Romel Jacinto penguin at techbandit.com
Mon Jul 2 10:32:30 PDT 2007

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Tom Haddon wrote:

> "For up to 10 clients, and modest services, use a recent desktop PC with
> 1GB of RAM and an extra NIC."
>
> Not sure if there's a machine that would qualify for these specs. It
> might be possible to move some RAM around in some of the machines that
> are on site...

None of the Dell Gx150 machines that were donated meet these specs.

According to Dell documentation, they can only accommodate 512 MB of RAM.
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/24b2sr
That said, I've never tried putting more in these machines, so they may
unofficially accept more.

I do not know the status of other machines at the lab, but Kami might.

Also, please note the although there is a spare PCI slot available, these
machines are "small form factor" and require a half-height aka
low-profile PCI card.

--
Romel