[sf-lug] Fwd: Drive Access issues

John Jefferson Lowry IV johnlowry at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:25:36 PDT 2007

For people lookign to do some system rescuing there is a great project
called System Rescure CD based on Gentoo and comes with a lot of these
things pre-installed. Just used to save a bunch of files off of my brother
laptop that windows said was unrecoverable.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

Will also install to a USB drive and be bootable from that!

On 6/29/07, Tom Haddon <tom at greenleaftech.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 12:08 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting John Lowry (johnlowry at gmail.com):
> >
> > > Sorry about that, accidentally replied off list
> > > If the windows drive is formated NTFS you will have to do some futzing
> with
> > > it.
> >
> > Right.  Forgot that almost all 'Doze users these days are doing NTFS.
> > For Blake's benefit:  The NTFS filesystem (partition) format is kept as
> > a closely held secret by Microsoft Corporation, and has had to be
> > painfully and carefully reverse-engineered by Linux coders with zero
> > help.  There is very recent software that safely mounts NTFS with full
> > r/w access, but it's not yet included in most Linux distros.  The links
> > John provided will tell more.
>
> It is in the latest version of Ubuntu (7.04), although I'd have to refer
> to docs to how to actually get it working :) :
>
> $ aptitude show ntfs-3g
> Package: ntfs-3g
> New: yes
> State: not installed
> Version: 1:1.328-1
> The ntfs-3g driver is an open source, GPL licensed, third generation
> Linux NTFS driver for 32-bit, little-endian architectures which was
> implemented by the
> Linux-NTFS project. It provides full read-write access to NTFS,
> excluding access to encrypted files, writing compressed files, changing
> file ownership,
> access right.
>
> Technically it's based on and a major improvement to the third
> generation Linux NTFS driver, ntfsmount. The improvements includes
> functionality, quality
> and performance enhancements.
>
> ntfs-3g is based on FUSE (userspace filesystem framework for Linux),
> thus you will have to prepare fuse kernel module to be able to use it.
>
> Homepage: http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

> --

John Lowry