[sf-lug] Fwd: Drive Access issues

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Fri Jun 29 12:20:44 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 12:08 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting John Lowry (johnlowry at gmail.com):
>
> > Sorry about that, accidentally replied off list
> > If the windows drive is formated NTFS you will have to do some futzing with
> > it.
>
> Right.  Forgot that almost all 'Doze users these days are doing NTFS.
> For Blake's benefit:  The NTFS filesystem (partition) format is kept as
> a closely held secret by Microsoft Corporation, and has had to be
> painfully and carefully reverse-engineered by Linux coders with zero
> help.  There is very recent software that safely mounts NTFS with full
> r/w access, but it's not yet included in most Linux distros.  The links
> John provided will tell more.

It is in the latest version of Ubuntu (7.04), although I'd have to refer
to docs to how to actually get it working :) :

$ aptitude show ntfs-3g
Package: ntfs-3g
New: yes
State: not installed
Version: 1:1.328-1
 The ntfs-3g driver is an open source, GPL licensed, third generation
Linux NTFS driver for 32-bit, little-endian architectures which was
implemented by the
 Linux-NTFS project. It provides full read-write access to NTFS,
excluding access to encrypted files, writing compressed files, changing
file ownership,
 access right.

 Technically it's based on and a major improvement to the third
generation Linux NTFS driver, ntfsmount. The improvements includes
functionality, quality
 and performance enhancements.

 ntfs-3g is based on FUSE (userspace filesystem framework for Linux),
thus you will have to prepare fuse kernel module to be able to use it.

 Homepage: http://www.ntfs-3g.org/