[sf-lug] Drive Access issues

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Fri Jun 29 11:58:54 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 14:39 -0400, Blake Haggerty wrote:
> I would love to be able to bring this up at Sundays Meeting but I will
> be out of town this weekend. (I also am rarely up by 11 on Sundays)
> That being said I recently switched to Ubuntu and I am really enjoying
> much more than my previous SUSE installation. One issue I am having
> though is I installed one of my other Hard drives that was an old
> windows drive. I can access the drive and look around in it I can even
> open the files on the drive but I cannot delete from it or copy
> anything to it. I have tried logging in as ROOT and still it will not
> let me do it. It always says permission denied.

Do you mean that it still holds Windows and is a FAT/NTFS filesystem, or
is it now a Linux native filesystem (ext2/3, etc.)? Try mount -l and
that should tell you about mounted filesystems. My guess is (if it's the
latter case) it's mounted it as read-only - either because it's
specified that way in /etc/fstab or because the OS has detected some
kind of corruption on the disk and has switched it to read-only -
check /var/log/messages for this...

Thanks, Tom