[sf-lug] Ubuntu project for the housing project - latest info

Romel Jacinto penguin at techbandit.com
Wed Jun 20 16:51:08 PDT 2007

On 06/19/2007 10:03 PM, David Sterry wrote:
> I've been watching this discussion for a bit and though I have no
> experience doing this sort of thing, I did see it on TV! Actually
> YouTube via slashdot. See this video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rts0xK5Uu3M
>
> So I just wrote to the guy that did a similar project with 150 PCs and
> what follows is his prompt response. -Dave
<snip>

Wow, what a cool find, David! Thanks for sharing with the list. I think
it's a good primer for an installation methodology and I'm sure there
are few other ways to consider as well.

What I was (am still hoping) is that there is a business process plan
for how these computers will be setup, used and maintained.

Disclosure:
I helped start one of the first community computer labs for Tibetan
refugees in Northern India in 1998. It was started with the best of
intentions and was popular _while it was maintained_, but ultimately it
folded because of...lack of a long-term plan.

I'm confident that the sf-lug community can tackle an install-fest.

However, what on-going maintenance and support is going to be done so that
the computer lab is still in good shape in six months or a year?
Who is the computer lab going to contact if they want to do <insert
function here>?

I'm under the impression these folks don't want to use technology for
technology's sake, rather they want to use technology to accomplish
something else.

What is that "something else" for these folks?
I don't know, but it'd be great to define it, find the proper tools and a
roadmap to help them accomplish it.

The collective sf-lug community can tackle the technology aspect, but for
the technology to be used successfully, it needs dialogue, partnership and
agreement from the ALL parties using the technology.

--
Romel