[sf-lug] Ubuntu project for the housing project - latest info

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Wed Jun 20 10:53:00 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 18:27 -0700, Michael Blanc wrote:
> Everybody ready?  Here's what I have been able to learn from Kami at
> this point:
>
> The destination location for the computers is an already-existing,
> though un(der)used computer learning room located in a public housing
> complex on Haight at Buchanan. There are already about five machines
> there with NT or Win2000, which are semi-usable, and which we should
> probably leave as they are on this occasion. Some other machines are
> there which are not in use, with and an unknown number of extra
> monitors, amount of spare parts, etc. The nature of the
> network/Internet hookup is unknown, but is presumed to exist in some
> form (cable, DSL?)
>
> The equipment which is to be received (on Thursday, I think), consists
> of bare units without screens, kbs, or rodentae, but it sounds as if
> they have ethernet cards and possibly CD drives.
>
> Kami's intention is to start classes there for school kids, which
> sounds like a worthwhile goal. She wants to teach OPEN OFFICE. Can we
> supply an installation of it? She has also mentioned a vesion of
> Ubuntu for schools called Edubuntu, but this is a lower priority,

http://www.edubuntu.com/

If this is what's wanted, it would probably be a good idea to
install/test it upfront. It also looks like the current version includes
out of the box support for LTSP which might be a nice consideration for
lower resource boxes. Check out http://www.edubuntu.com/Download for
more details...

I'll download these CDs and bring them along (all three).

Personally, I think it's unrealistic to do all the testing and
installation in one afternoon. It would be nice to install a few
different distros, and then have the users test them and give us
feedback - we could then come back and configure the one that seems to
fit best a week later or so. What do people think of that idea?

Thanks, Tom