[sf-lug] Ubuntu project for the housing project - latest info

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 14:41:40 PDT 2007

"Personally, I think it's unrealistic to do all the testing and
installation in one afternoon. It would be nice to install a few
different distros, and then have the users test them and give us
feedback - we could then come back and configure the one that seems to
fit best a week later or so. What do people think of that idea?"

If they knew exactly what they needed and could communicate that clearly, I
would disagree that one day is unrealistic (with the right resources, e.g. a
KVM switch and several copies of installation discs, and a clear plan I
could do that many in a single day all by myself).  However, since neither
of those seem to be the case, I agree that one day may not be realistic
(especially if we're talking about multiple distros).

"Also we need to
> survey the computers to make sure they're identical,
> otherwise ghosting is not an option, is it?"

Ghosting is only an option if they are identical machines needing an
identical (totally identical, not just similar) image.  It would also be
necessary to have a valid copy of Ghost (nobody has mentioned so far that
they do).  I've never had much luck with Ghost + Linux anyway.