[sf-lug] recommendations on file system

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Mar 15 13:52:38 PDT 2007

I have a laptop from work which came with Windows XP. I have Ubuntu Edgy
Edft on it in dual boot mode installed on a 10GB partition. On the
Windows side, I have over 25GB of free space in NTFS sitting idle. I'd
like to partition this part and use it from both XP and Ubuntu in a
read+write mode. FAT32 is a candidate, but some of the VMWare images I
have are larger than 4GB, which makes it a problem with FAT32.

Does anyone have suggestions for a filesystem that's writeable from XP
and Linux and supports large (4GB+) files so that I can use this
partition from both OSes?

cheers,
Sameer

--