[sf-lug] Sunday meeting at the Javacat--11 AM to 1 PM

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 3 22:45:46 PST 2007

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

> fortunately i'll also have fedora core DVDs with me.

Reminds me:  Yesterday, I also burned the Fedora 7 Test 2 (aka v. 6.91
beta) DVDs that were released on March 1 (for i686 and x86_64).  Might
be of interest to the adventuresome.

As to picking out a suitable distribution, IMVAO, it'd be best if people
consider this matter _before_ coming to Javacat.  It may be useful that
the http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros list has hyperlinks
from each distribution's name to some suitable Web page aobut it.

Possibly relevant item on my personal "rants" pages that I recently
updated yet again:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=kicking#486

  Can I install Linux on my { 386sx | 386 | 486 | Pentium | K6 | PPro |
  m68k SPARC3 }?

  Every few years, I have to revise this item, to restore realism: This is
  the 2007 revision.

  The fact is, most computer hardware doesn't age well, especially
  motherboards and CPUs used for general-purpose computing. At this date,
  anything older than a Pentium II is too slow, too fragile from
  accumulated wear, too expensive / impractical to get parts for if/when
  parts die, and insufficiently expandable without unjustifiable expense
  better applied to something modern.

  One can still justify using machines as old as AMD K6 / Pentium Pro
  boxes for dedicated server roles, e.g., being just a CD-burner, just an
  SMTP mail server, just a DNS nameserver, just a file/print server, just
  a router/Internet gateway, just a dial-in terminal server. just a
  data-collection system, just a network monitor, just a firewall, just an
  X graphics terminal.

  As a Linux novice, you won't be setting these up right away, but may
  want to remember the possibility for later on.