[sf-lug] Sunday meeting at the Javacat--11 AM to 1 PM

jim stockford jim at well.com
Sat Mar 3 10:33:02 PST 2007

good response, i'll try to tell you after I know myself.

    my guess is that some people use their laptops
for email and web browsing mainly and occasionally
for light word processing. i'm sure some people
go for heavier-duty word processing and
spreadsheeting.
    i also guess there are only some people who use
their laptops to run significant audio apps and only
some who have a need for 3D and games.
    use reflects generational and other personal
interest dimensions.
    as to community, there's a thriving CentOS
mailing list and the OS is so similar to Red Hat's
product that she, if she wishes, can benefit from lots
of online and printed info that's RH oriented.
    but i'm bound by my own limitations: email and
web browsing, no interest in games or media,
maybe a little  vi  if i want to write a note or two,
wget, links, rpm at the command line--my primary
use is that of studying RHEL configuration so's to
get paid to operate some tethered corporate server.

    as to point and click update management, sleep
mode, configuring third-party software, oddball
media formats, and more, those are very good
points. I donno--my CentOS is on tower boxes.
    fortunately i'll also have fedora core DVDs
with me.
    unfortunately her laptop may only have a CD
drive.
    I guess I'll bring some (older) Ubuntu disks and
hope someone else brings the latest Ubuntu, to
give her some choices.

what was that noise?
thanks lots for the helpful note.
jim