[sf-lug] encrypted filesystems (re pgp gpg...)

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Feb 22 07:13:29 PST 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, jim stockford wrote:

>    how to do that? gotta have a special
> kernel. for me the value was the clarity
> in the explanation of loopback filesystems
> aka /dev/loop0

Both Ubuntu's and Debian's kernel support this in their default kernels.
Debian goes so far as to present this as an install option.  A friend
actually switched from Ubuntu to Debian for this reaso (among others).

Fedora and RedHat and friends may, too, I just don't keep up to date on
them.

The article you linked us to <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6481> is
three and a half years old; by now, this is old hat.  Still worth doing,
though!  And still a good explanation of one way to do it, even if these
days people most use dmcrypt
<http://deb.riseup.net/storage/encryption/dmcrypt/> instead for
compatibility with LVM.

-- Asheesh.

--
The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
whether submarines can swim.