[sf-lug] Fwd: [JOB] PHP/MySQL Developer, Santa Cruz, CA | 60k

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 7 11:05:24 PST 2006

Quoting Lx Rudis (lx_rudis at sbcglobal.net):

> moen:
> >Offering $60k for the skillset described, in the 2006 Northern California
> >job market, is just absurd.
>
> ok rick, i'll bite:
> what _does_ $60k/yr buy in 2007?

I'm not 100% sure -- but I do know that I was getting _more_ than that
20 years ago as an entry-level tech. support weenie in an impoverished
Foster City (CA) software company.  This was during the Ronald Reagan
administration (insert "Back to the Future" reference here), and we're
talking 1986 dollars.

(It was enough to live as a bachelor in a depressing one-bedroom
apartment in the flatlands of San Mateo -- with further depression
impinging every day as my bicycle commute crossed the park named for my
assassinated friend and congressman Leo Ryan.  Life got much better when
I left that firm, started a consulting business, and moved to SF.)