[sf-lug] yellow dog linux on sony playstation 3

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 2 12:17:17 PST 2006

It is going to be the most powerful "consumer" Linux
box available, and likely the most powerful
workstation. I was surprised Terra Soft (makers of
"Yellow Dog Linux") was chosen, because they don't
have a great track record (not all their fault, trying
to get an OS to run on lots of different Macintosh
models is no easy feat.) Sony apparently chose Terra
Soft because of their expertise with the Power 5
architecture (the Cell processor, or "CBE", is an
extended Power 5.) We'll see how it works out.

This development also shows that, while IBM and Sony
are tight partners on the Cell, IBM doesn't want Sony
to use the IBM CBE Linux port. IBM is using CBE in
server blades right now. I'm looking forward to CBE in
laptops, but suspect it will be a while (a year?)
before that happens (but anything is possible.)

Cheers,

Adrien

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html