[sf-lug] Windows and Linux OS to work together

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 14:33:24 PST 2006

The problem is companies capitalizing on open source software, while contributing the minimum amount of resources possible. A group such as EFF can get involved with litigation on certain matters. OSDL is working to promote FOSS. But, there is as yet no group or individual providing overall strategic direction to the open source community. Maybe we need to summon Sauron out of retirement, so we can have a "single eye" (and brain.) Sauron is one of the few entities capable of dealing with the characters challenging FOSS.

- Adrien

Catherine Jones <cathjone at eskimo.com> wrote: Thanks, Rick, for the pointer to groklaw.net for information on the
Microsoft-Novell pact.

Reading through Friday's discussion there

broought up a lot of questions for me about both Linux community
strategy and individual FOSS developer choices (libraries, patents,
licensing agreements, et cetera). How do we best defend open-source
software against anti-competitive misuse of patents? These are very old
(and, of course, potentially inflammatory) questions, but I think it
might be useful to have a semi-planned discussion of them at one of the
future sf-lug meetings.

I know that I (for one) need to bring myself up to date on some of the
issues. Are there people in sf-lug with special knowledge to share in
this area? Should some of us take on the task of reporting back on
particular topics - e.g., versions of the GPL or the risks (real,
perceived, or wildly speculative) of litigation against particular open
source projects?

Well, just a thought....

Catherine

Sponsored Link

For just $24.99/mo., Vonage offers unlimited local and long- distance calling. Sign up now.