[sf-lug] Windows and Linux OS to work together

Catherine Jones cathjone at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 6 10:35:15 PST 2006

Thanks, Rick, for the pointer to groklaw.net for information on the
Microsoft-Novell pact.

Reading through Friday's discussion there

broought up a lot of questions for me about both Linux community
strategy and individual FOSS developer choices (libraries, patents,
licensing agreements, et cetera). How do we best defend open-source
software against anti-competitive misuse of patents? These are very old
(and, of course, potentially inflammatory) questions, but I think it
might be useful to have a semi-planned discussion of them at one of the
future sf-lug meetings.

I know that I (for one) need to bring myself up to date on some of the
issues. Are there people in sf-lug with special knowledge to share in
this area? Should some of us take on the task of reporting back on
particular topics - e.g., versions of the GPL or the risks (real,
perceived, or wildly speculative) of litigation against particular open
source projects?

Well, just a thought....

Catherine