[sf-lug] Windows and Linux OS to work together

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 4 11:00:11 PST 2006

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:The Novell Beagle file-search utility is built on the Mono runtime, and
also Novell ZenWorks, Novell iFolder, and others.
I thought it strange when I noticed Banshee uses Mono. But it makes sense considering they are apparently planning on using Banshee as a component for an online music store. They want to use the .net stuff for e-commerce. Novell recently licensed the audio CODEC RealPlayer acquired from Microsoft as part of the anti-trust settlement. So it looks like Novell may try to get into the online music business, perhaps as a proxy or partner of Microsoft. I'd like to see an open source project, with resources behind it, to create high-quality audio and video formats and protocols, as alternatives to QuickTime, WMA, etc.

- Adrien