[sf-lug] Linux on speed...

Keith Keller kkeller at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 2 14:57:42 PST 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 01:43:01PM -0800, vincent polite wrote:
> To me it seems a bit overwelhming. I look at what Jim has gone threw to learn, and I think about my how much I would need to learn to be competent and employable with it. Daunting. Besides there are so many packages that you have to wade through and chuck...Daunting. Slow down, or have a way you can install the basics. Then install what you need to learn them.

You don't have to track every distro release in order to teach yourself.
In fact, I'd suggest the opposite--pick a distro that has a good
security update policy, and stay with that version until you feel
comfortable moving up.  There's no compelling reason to install the
latest version du jour just for the sake of being up to date.  Ignore
the fast release cycle, and you'll probably learn better.  (FWIW, most
distros don't have such a fast release cycle anyway.  My favourite,
Slackware, for example, has had four releases from 2004-2006.)

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net