[sf-lug] meeting update -- what happened today

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Sep 8 12:53:51 PDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 08:51:52AM -0700, jim stockford wrote:
>    I'd like to know it's strong/unique points and what
> are integration possibilities--is there an API, for
> example, or plug-in feature.
>    Anything relating to educational or industrial
> applications?

You know, I never really covered any of this, so I should take a sec to
follow up.  Sorry! :^)

API and plug-in-wise?  No, there's nothing.  All of the stuff you saw
lives in the main C source.  (In fact, until recently, it was an
embarrassingly large single C file (25,000+ lines), with some headers
for data.)  It's written in such a way that it's not _too_ difficult to
add new magic tools, for example, but it's not something you create
stand-alone and that Tux Paint loads at startup (like how GIMP plugins work).

Industrial applications?  No idea.  It has been used by countless
schools around the world, though (I briefly showed the fact that there's
some quotes from teachers on the website :^) )

Speaking of the website, along with the general l10n-ability
of the website (i.e., the ability to translated pages into other languages
and present them to visitors), two highly interactive pages of the site
are:

  http://www.tuxpaint.org/gallery/

This is powered by a couple of flat text files (sorry, no SQL database :) )
and PHP code that I wrote specifically for the Tux Paint website.

And:

  http://www.tuxpaint.org/help/po/

This displays a sortable table of the various languages Tux Paint
(the core app, as well as the collection of add-on stamp material) has
been translated to, and the status of those translations.

I keep a duplicate of all of the PO files on my FTP server, and run
a script there that pulls the latest Tux Paint & Tux Paint Stamps out of
CVS and copies the PO files into a directory on the FTP site.

Another set of scripts (that live in the /help/po/ directory of the
website) are used to pull those down (temporarily), process them to
generate statistics, and spit out a pair of -- again, plain text -- files
that drive the content in the table on that /help/po/ web page.

Almost all of this is available from CVS, in fact, in the "tuxpaint-website"
module.  I utilize CVS to keep my old website
( http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/ -- running as part of my
Sonic.net DSL/shell/web/mail services ) in sync with my new website
( http://www.tuxpaint.org/ -- running as a virtual host on my billsgames.com
colo server, somewhere in Texas), and vice-versa.

Oh, it's all PHP, BASH shell scripts, and I think some Python scripts.
(Some of it wasn't written by me ;) )

-bill!