[sf-lug] Ok, dumb question guys...

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 28 15:12:23 PDT 2006

Quoting Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net):

> Haven't looked at Ross's stuff, but a while back LUGOD had a couple of
> talks on DVD authoring with Linux:
>
>   "DVD Authoring with Linux"
>   by Kyle Rankin (author of /Linux Multimedia Hacks/ from O'Reilly)
>   http://www.lugod.org/presentations/dvd_authoring.html
>
>   "Digital Video and Linux"
>   by Doub Barbieri
>   http://www.lugod.org/presentations/dv_talk.sxi  [openoffice.org 1.x impress]

I like both Kyle and Doug's slide shows / outlines -- but it's useful to
have a slightly more detailed write-up too.  (Note:  Kyle's
recommendation to "use k3b" is all very well, but implies an actual
DVD-burning tool that k3b's been configured to use.)

Basically, Ross had a whole lot of video on a Series 1 TiVo, a Dazzle
video A/D converter box borrowed from my wife, and the motivation to
save money by using Linux and a cheap Duron box.  ;->  Like Doug, Ross
found Kino to be the right tool for capture, editing, and conversion to
MPEG.  For the messy bit, creating a properly populated DVD file tree,
Ross came up with some _simple_ dvdauthor incantations.  Then, he
outlines the obvious last steps with mkisofs and dvdrecord.

It's a pretty effect walk-through:  Since Ross is an old Mac-head, he
wanted to make things as easy as possible for those following in his
steps.