[sf-lug] the build-a-machine project

jim stockford jim at well.com
Fri Aug 25 14:00:48 PDT 2006

    i gotta CPU, i gotta power supply, i gotta CD-ROM and
DVD combo burner, floppy, 80GB hard drive, two 512MB
RAM sticks, a motherboard, a case, even a flat-panel
display and keyboard and mouse. The whole works,
everything we need to put together a pretty nice box.
    I don't know what subsystems are on the motherboard--
NIC, sound, video.... Doesn't matter to me, it'll work okay,
I'll buy whatever else is needed.
    I like features on expansion cards rather than built into
the motherboard--more flexible, though less cheap.
    The exercise is to get comfortable putting all this stuff
together, that and talk things out as we go.