[sf-lug] Dude, my new phone.

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 15 10:00:11 PDT 2006

If you want one of them now, you'll likely have to register with Trolltech as a development partner, and you'll likely have to proove that you are a "major" developer (such as Nokia, Sony, etc.). They probably only have only a small quantity of them available at this point. September isn't very long to wait.

Trolltech is adopting a very interesting strategy. By producing an actual phone based on their Linux and development environments, that is likely inexpensive to produce, Trolltech puts some heat on the established players (Nokia, Sony/Ericsson, Motorola) to use their kit or risk having Trolltech run away with part of the market. Very cool. Basically, "Use my development kit or I will produce and sell the phones myself".  If one of the established phone makers does use the new kit, Trolltech can still sell the phones to lesser-known companies, without significantly hurting the big guys (most consumers stick with the "name" brand.) So, everyone wins.