[sf-lug] Software Freedom Day 2006

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jul 14 10:57:41 PDT 2006

Quoting John Lowry (johnlowry at gmail.com):

> Any suggestions for software out there that has builds for Windows and
> Mac? I was also thinking of having either Knoppix CDs, Ubuntu CDs, or
> both.

Here's the gotcha about showing up and urging CDs on people who aren't
expecting them:  Most people, most of the time, are culturally
conditioned to value new things at acquisition cost -- leading to a clash
with the free software / open source community, which mostly values
new things at usage value.  I talk about this recurring problem, here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/User-Group-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.2

Anyhow, Macs make great Linux boxes -- as do many MS-Windows machines.
I'd therefore suggest, _indeed_, Ubuntu or Kubuntu v. 6.06 "Desktop CD"
discs (which are live CDs with an installation option) and Knoppix.

As to handing out free-software CDs for MS-Windows or MacOS, they exist,
but I personally wouldn't do a Johnny Appleseed gig with _those_, as
that's just being an enabler.
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/linuxmanship/#enabler