[sf-lug] Looking for a Senior MySQL administrator in San Francisco

Adrien Lamothe alamozzz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 11:47:14 PDT 2006

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote: Quoting Asheesh Laroia (asheesh at asheesh.org):

> Sounds to me like you're reacting a little strongly, Adrien.  I won't
> claim to truly know what they want this person for, but the position
> sounded reasonable.

If I had to place a bet, I'd go with Adrian's assessment.  He's gone
around the block a few times with the developer consulting business, and
has an amazing collection of stories from the trenches.  He's pretty
good at spotting situations that have problems.

I don't want to say this particular situation is a problem, I like to take things at face value. However, whenever interviewing for this type of job, you should ask questions like:

     - Why is this position open? Did someone leave the company? If so, why did that person leave? Can I contact that person and ask his/her opinion of the work place?

     - Are you currently on a tight deadline? If so, why did the person who was working on the project decide to leave at such a critical time?

     - How many people are currently members of the technical staff? (Make sure you meet with at least one of them).

     - If you accept the job, get everything in writing, including a detailed listing of job responsibilities, salary, any promised bonuses, vacation time, etc. Any legitimate company will have an employee handbook that outlines most of these things (except for your particular job tasks, which will be created specifically for your position.)

In short, perform your due-diligence when investigating a job opportunity.

Cheers.