[sf-lug] installfest Sat. @ Rick Moen's in Menlo Park/ Xandros response

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jul 11 09:39:40 PDT 2006

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

>    The promise that once debugged, underlying class code
> need not be re-debugged as one develops classes turned
> out to be sometimes mistaken.
>    For MSFT Visual C++ at least, the virtual table mechanism
> allows occasional corruption of resources.
>    Multiple inheritance is scary on the face of it, at least to me.
>    Pointedly, the remark is about the risks of the underlying
> classes' behavior, not code readability or the skill of any
> particular programmer.

My wife likes to say that inheritance means you can inherit bugs (too).

The thing about C++ is that (along with Java) it's about the worst
possible advertisement for OO programming (in my view), and I never much
liked that language category until I encountered better examples.  In
particular, it's a darned shame that Ojective C never caught on instead
of C++; the world would be a much better place.