[sf-lug] installfest Sat. @ Rick Moen's in Menlo Park/ Xandros response

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Jul 9 20:16:00 PDT 2006

Quoting jim stockford (jim at well.com):

>     This issue has a DVD with both the latest PClinuxOS
> and the latest CentOS on it, right?

Reminds me:  Ron had a minor disappointment on Saturday evening, in that
my set of CentOS 4.2 for i386 (equiv. to RHEL4 Update 2) turned out to
have a scratch on one of the discs that made the set unusable.  (A
replacement ISO was available only from the very slow vault.centos.org
server.) Moreover, disc 1 of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 RC2.5 had been
smashed by somebody, so _that_ was out.

Fortunately, Ron was able to install the Mandriva-based KDE-oriented
installable live CD of the PCLinuxOS P92 prerelease.  We noticed that
the "just partition my drive automatically" screens seemed to not work,
and so did a quick-and-dirty job in DiskDrake ourselves:  One hopes
they intend to fix that before their 1.0 release.  Everything else was
boringly smooth.  ;->

I feel a _little_ bad that Ron wasn't able to install something relevant
to the RHCE effort.  So, I've downloaded CentOS 4.3 for i386 (current
release), have just burned a set for Ron (four discs), and will leave it
on my side gate near the garage for at least a few days.  Ron, will you
be able to swing by and pick that up?

I've also just downloaded SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 RC3 (current
prerelease) for both i386 and AMD64 (5 discs each), mostly because I'm
curious about Novell's desktop improvements, having been very impressed
by private showings of the beta.