[sf-lug] [OT] California Extreme (arcade/pinball event) this weekend

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jul 7 18:07:39 PDT 2006

Many computer-types are also video-game-types, so I thought I'd
pass along the news that "California Extreme" is taking place this
weekend in San Jose at Parkside Hall.

  http://www.caextreme.com/

  "California Extreme is the 'Classic Arcade Games Show.'
  In a nutshell, it's an annual celebration of coin operated pinball
  machines, video games and other novelties you once found in game
  arcades. It's two days that celebrate this exceptional entertainment
  medium, featuring tournaments, speakers, parts vendors, and an
  opportunity to play games you may have not seen for years. All the
  games on display are set for free play, so leave your quarters in the
  ash tray in your car. You won't need 'em."

ObLinux: For what it's worth, I saw a Linux console and root prompt on some
game's monitor at last year's event, and I know for a fact that Linux has
been the OS used for development for some semi-recent (back to 1998-ish)
arcade games, and the OS for a very recent (2004? 2005?) arcade title.
(Oh, and our SF-LUG buddy Lx worked on it. ;^) )

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/