[sf-lug] Starting studying...

jim stockford jim at well.com
Sun Jul 2 19:45:19 PDT 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 5:46 PM, vincent polite wrote:

> My first q's:
>
> ? the hardware that's in a commodity computer
> A open a box, point to a thing-a-ma-bob and say what it does
    Good idea, do it and see what's mysterious. Keep
saying the words "chip set" as you do so.

> ? node vs. commodity
> A node is a non-server box. commodity is boxes on a network...?
    A node is any device that has an IP address. An IP
address is mapped to a MAC address. A computer,
whether it's a client or server (or more properly whether
one considers it as a client or as a server--often server
and client software operates simultaneously on a single
computer), a printer, a router....
    Often computers hosting server software have multiple
NICs (each with its own MAC address), and therefore
multiple IP addresses.
    It's possible to map several IP addresses to a single
Network Interface Card, too.
    A commodity box is one that's put together from widely
available components, most of which are available at
computer stores, or, in the case of DELL, that are being
remaindered in bulk at distress prices.
    Apple and Sun do not make commodity boxes.
    Commodity boxes include those that we find on street
corners, some with diaries showing increasing frustration
of their former owners.

> What are the essential areas of the test(s):?
We'll cover them as we cover the obvious stuff to study.
Take the RH preassessment tests (they're free) and
study the curriculum for the RH133 class (and the
others--I'll add links to that stuff).

> How about an install fest so we are all working from essentailly the
> same set of modules, #@%@$ them on our own, and re-!$%^@ them when we
> do, ourselves?
    You're representing bad words, here, aren't you? Good
idea--I mean the install fest.
    Where? My house is open--I have several boxes here
and we can tear into one--identify its parts, assemble it,
install one or more Linux distros over and over....
    How about your house?