[sf-lug] Ubuntu 6.06 LTS "Dapper Drake" has been released

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Jun 8 10:24:15 PDT 2006

Adrien Lamothe wrote:
> */Sarah Mei <sarahmei at gmail.com>/* wrote:
>
>     Skillful use of PR is such a unusual thing to see in this industry,
>     even among large companies with lots of money, so it's even more
>     remarkable and nifty to see it in a smaller, less flush organization.
>

> Very true, it is hard to find skillful PR. One thing to keep in mind:
> the founder and CEO of Canonical is a man named Mark Shuttleworth. Mr.
> Shuttleworth is a billionaire, so he certainly has the finiancial
> means, and most likely the connections, to produce such a video.
Canonical along with a few other sponsors has produced a series of 13
episodes of "Go-Open" a TV series. These series are available as MPEG4
videos under a creative commons (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
2.5) license. The videos are very nicely done...humorous and
informative. Most of them feature Mark Shuttleworth himself and a bunch
of the other "who's who" like Stallman, Raymond, Perens, Marti, Lessig,
etc.

I grabbed all these videos and watched them (on Dapper Drake on my
laptop) on a long trip to the Caribbean and back. I liked them so much
that I made a copy for the guys in Jamaica, where I was attending a
conference :-)

The videos are available at:
1) Torrent links -
http://www.go-opensource.org/files/go-open-vol-1.torrent and