[sf-lug] A ROM bootable OS

Andrew Stanton andy at stantonweb.com
Mon May 29 14:36:12 PDT 2006

Thanks that's very helpful..  I will definitely look at Pebble.

- Andy S.

Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote: Andrew Stanton wrote:
> Hi folks:
> How about a linux that boots in ROM?  Nothing to configure for a minimal
> setup.
> I think a ROM OS with essential software would really be revolutionary.
> Of course the trick is defining what "essential" is.
> Note: This is similar but not the same as booting from a Knoppix CD.
> The closest thing to what i'm suggesting would be putting the OS on a
> flash CF card and making it bootable. (the key difference is that the
> CF card can be erased, but ROM cannot - but in both cases the OS
> resides in a permanent form of
> solid state memory)
> What do you all think?
> I don't know about you all, but I'm fairly tired of having to configure
> an OS for a new computer (whether it be Windoze, the mac OS, or a
> linux variant - let's be honest - they are all nuisance to set up).
> - Andy S.
Pebble Linux uses such an approach. It is not a Desktop Linux type OS.
Its Debian based, and is designed to run wireless and wired routers. The
image sits on a CF card or can be flashed to onboard flash. At boot
time, it partitions the RAM into a temporary filesystem and unloads the
/var into it. Runs as read-only from there, with all the read-write
happening in the /var partition in the RAM.

Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
Asst. Professor of Information Systems
San Francisco State University
San Francisco CA 94132 USA

Andrew G. Stanton
Stanton Web Applications

Innovative database and web-based applications for
businesses and non-profit organizations

988 Fulton Street, #144
San Francisco, CA 94117
tel. 1-415-738-8501