[sf-lug] Consumer & admin (was: Possibly interesting data point on jobs postings)

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Wed May 17 21:05:17 PDT 2006

My intent was not to confuse free(as in beer or speech) sofware with
open source. I do realize the distinction.

My point about DRM is that when closed-source software provides platform
services that ensure license integrity, alternatives will be sought
where those services are optional. For example, one can imagine a day
where any media file that's to be played on Windows has to be signed
with an officially purchased certificate(in turn signed by Sony or some
other content CA). It's at that point that many many people will see a
trade-off between the applications they know and love that come with a
more restrictive future or a space where they may have to pay some dues
mentally but will be able to experience content with less legal ties.

Your point about the PS3 as a test case is right on target but it leaves
me with one question. How does the open sourceness of an OS affect the
ability to develop a secure application for it?